Maintenance FAQ

  • I have a maintenance issue, what do I do?

    • Complete the maintenance request form BAS11 – UCT request for building maintenance (download link on the right). Additional information about accessing, completing and submitting the BAS11 form may be found in the help document or by viewing the video (on the right).
    • Your request for building or equipment maintenance will be:
      • logged immediately and a SAP Plant Maintenance (PM) notification number will be allocated and sent to you by email
      • a copy of the submitted form will be saved in your 'Sent Mail' folder by default
      • progress on your request will be communicated to you via regular email updates
    • Once logged, the maintenance request is prioritised by the area maintenance manager or his/her staff.
    • Maintenance managers:
      • Upper Campus Maintenance, Peter Byne
      • Other Campus Maintenance (Middle, Lower, Health Sciences and Hiddingh Campus), Matholi Hlophe
      • Residence Maintenance, John Peters
  • I submitted a maintenance request form but have not received a notification number?

    Contact the maintenance help desk on Tel: +27 (0)21 650 4321/2 or with your query and a copy of your completed form that will be found in your sent items folder

  • I am a student in residence with a maintenance issue. What do I do?

    1. Contact the Residence Facilities Officer (RFO) in your residence.
    2. The RFO will notify the assigned residence handyman, who will attempt to resolve the issue within 24 hours.
    3. If the residence handyman is unable to resolve the issue the RFO or sub-warden will log your issue with the maintenance help desk by completing the maintenance request form BAS11 – UCT Request for Building Maintenance.
    4. Once logged, the maintenance request is prioritised by the area maintenance manager or his/her staff.
      • Residence Maintenance Manager: John Peters
    5. Should you not receive any feedback within the stipulated period, you may contact the RFO or sub-warden.
  • I have a maintenance issue, what should I NOT do?

    1. Do not try to fix the problem yourself.
    2. Do not get an outside contractor to fix it for you. (This is in order to preserve the current infrastructure, maintain standards and specifications and also to comply with our health and safety standards.)
    3. Do not report it directly to third-party providers such as Firespec, Metro, Fedics, Supercare or G4S as they cannot assist in this regard.
    4. Any problems with an appointed out-tasked contractor should be brought to the attention of Properties and Services through the relevant area maintenance manager or the Director: Maintenance and Operations and not directly with the contractor. This is to ensure that the problem can go through the necessary channels and be dealt with swiftly.
  • Why has a job that was logged after mine been given priority?

    • Emergencies take priority. Longer-term maintenance is dependent on the nature of the issue and funding.
  • I am unsure about a maintenance query or cost?

    • Discuss your query with the relevant area maintenance manager or the Director: Maintenance and Operations before the work commences, otherwise the charges will be the responsibility of the faculty or department.
  • Can I undertake my own maintenance, alterations or improvements?

    The short answer is no. But please read further to understand why not.

    1. Only the P&S's Projects and Capital Works or Maintenance and Operations units are authorised to perform building maintenance, alterations or improvements. Any work done by faculties and departments or their appointed contractors that involves the alterations of a campus building must be done with the full knowledge and approval of Properties and Services to ensure that all national building regulations, local and municipal bylaws are met and that university standards are maintained.
    2. At the meeting of 8th May 2002, University Council reaffirmed as policy that the Properties and Services Department is responsible and accountable for all building operations on university-owned and -managed property; is authorised and allowed to control any and all building operations on university-owned or -managed premises; may halt and make good, instances of building operations where no authority exists; and must take action where such unauthorised building operations are found.
  • Cost services

    • hanging or relocating picture frames, white boards and notice boards in staff offices (unless specifically centrally funded by the university)
    • repairs and painting of walls due to the relocation of items on the wall
    • new and replacement keys as well as re-keying of locks
    • new signage or ad hoc signage changes (not part of a capital expenditure programme)
    • moving and disposal of equipment or furniture
    • set-up activities for ad hoc special events, such as table and chair set-up, hanging of banners, electrical support, etc not negotiated with the relevant area maintenance area at least 5 working days prior to the event
    • window treatments, such as tinting, blinds or curtains in staff offices
    • maintenance or installation of departmental-owned equipment, such as desk lamps, fans, equipment etc
    • paint requests involving accent walls or common areas that are less than 7 years old
    • new or redesigned air conditioning equipment that fall outside of the asset register or capital expenditure programme
    • all building alterations or improvements that fall outside fall outside of the capital expenditure programme
    • carpet replacement other than for safety reasons or that fall outside fall outside of the asset register or capital expenditure programme
    • furniture fabrication and care (unless specifically centrally funded by the university)
    • wood floor care (unless specifically funded by the university)
    • requests for additional electrical plug sockets
    • requests for additional light fittings or light switches other than for safety reasons
    • requests for electrical plug sockets or light fittings to be provided with standby electrical power
    • servicing and calibration of laminar flow hoods or bio-safety cabinets (unless specifically centrally funded by the university).
  • No-cost services

    1. Heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems (repair and maintenance of existing):
      • air handling systems
      • chiller systems
      • cold room systems
      • cooling tower systems
      • filter replacement
      • water treatment
      • fans, pumps, sensors, building management system (BMS) controls, field devices and so forth
      • steam boilers.
    2. Electrical systems:
      • electrical power distribution systems
      • 11 kV/400 V substations and transformers
      • emergency lighting
      • lamp and bulb replacement
      • standby generators
      • controls for outside lighting.
    3. Plumbing systems:
      • domestic cold water distribution systems
      • sprinkler systems, roof drain systems
      • stormwater drain systems
      • waste water drain systems
      • hot water systems
      • earth dam, pump stations and reservoirs
      • statutory compliance requirements associated with fire hydrants, emergency shower testing, etc.
    4. General maintenance systems
      • ceiling repairs, door repairs, hardware repairs, floor covering repairs, glass replacement and window repairs, graffiti removal and so forth
      • scheduled painting in common areas and exterior of buildings, stairs and handrail repairs, wall repairs, roof repairs including gutters, gargoyles and downpipes, walkway repairs, sealing of windows and buildings, exterior furniture repair and so forth
      • fire extinguisher maintenance.
    5. Kitchen maintenance
      • maintenance of kitchen equipment that is found in our residence catering kitchens.
    6. Central and planned maintenance services
      • all passenger and goods lift statutory servicing, repairs and preventative maintenance
      • all hoists statutory servicing, repairs and preventative maintenance
      • all fixed fume cupboards servicing, repairs, and preventative maintenance
      • all pressurised vessels and boilers statutory servicing and repairs
      • all fixed ladders, platforms, lifting equipment and gear statutory inspections, repairs and replacements
      • pest control (excluding specific requests for off schedule services).