Finance Operations


Answers to some of your finance queries:

  • How can I get access to SAP?

    Access to SAP depends on you attending and completing SAP training.

  • How do I book for SAP training?

    1. Go to the Information and Communication Technology Services (ICTS) website's SAP section.
    2. Click on Course Calendar to find out the dates of the course you wish to attend.
    3. Download the relevant application form (see table below), fill it in and have it signed by your Head of Department and the Finance Manager for your area.
    4. Send the application form to the relevant office by the 20th of the month preceding the training month.
    5. You will receive an email confirming your course booking, venue and dates.
    SAP01 (Purchasers) Purchasing Liaison Office, Room 2.02, Meulenhof Building Fax: +27 (0)21 650 3663
    SAP02 (Funds reporting) Course Administrator, Room 238.6, Bremner Building Fax: +27 (0)21 650 4897
    SAP03 (Functional user) New users: Course Administrator, Room 238.6, Bremner Building Fax: +27 (0)21 650 4897
    Authorisation updates: Systems Access (SA), Room 201A, ICTS on Main, 7 Main Road, Mowbray Fax: +27 (0)21 650 4337
    SAP04 (CO reporting) Course Administrator, Room 238.6, Bremner Building Fax: +27 (0)21 650 4897
  • What happens if I do not access SAP for a while?

    Any user who does not log on to SAP for a period of 2 months will be expired. Expirations are carried out at the beginning of each month. Contact if you need to be unexpired or unlocked.

  • Who can I contact if I forget my password or am locked out of SAP?

  • Who can I contact for help with SAP?

    See Contacts.

  • Where can I find SAP online help?

  • Which SAP financial reports should I use?

    There are 3 SAP financial reporting modules at UCT:

    1. Funds Management (FM) focuses on funds and is used for external reporting to donors and funders. It can also be used for internal reporting according to the source of funding. It is the SAP module that contains budget management and availability control.
    2. Controlling (CO) is mainly used to provide detailed financial planning and reporting against plans for internal financial management. Monthly activity charges can be run based on the agreed cost-drivers of students, staff, research and space. A comparison of the CO plan and actual reports are submitted monthly to Central Finance and form the basis of reports to the University Finance Committee (UFC) and Council.
    3. Financial Accounting (FI) provides an overview of UCT and is used for legal reporting by Central Finance.
  • Where can I find the Finance administrative forms?

  • Where are the Finance policies and guidelines?

  • What do I do when I have a problem using SAP?

  • How do I change my funds centre or cost centre group authorisations?

  • Can I use Budget Car Hire in a private capacity?

    UCT Budget Car Hire rates are available to staff in their private capacity, but:

    • Bookings must be made directly with Budget Car Hire using your UCT staff card.
    • Payment must be made by personal credit card and not by UCT purchase order or pcard.
    • These bookings are not covered by UCT insurance.