The Steve Biko Building has been temporarily closed for renovations since 1 July 2019 and will remain closed until 31 March 2020. The reason for this project is to provide compliant and appropriate access to all services, specifically student health and disability services. The Cissy Gool Plaza Food Court and the UCT Bookshop will not be affected by the temporary closure and will operate as normal throughout the construction period. The UCT community is advised that there will be noise, dust, smells and fumes during this renovation period, which might affect the surrounding areas and buildings.
Departments have been relocated as follows:
- all student bodies (SHAWCO, SRC, Varsity News, RAG, Ubunye) – Parking Lot 4 next to the rugby fields
- Fundi – North Council Meeting Room, Sports Centre
- Student Wellness Service – Ivan Toms Building
- Department of Student Affairs (DSA) executive director and staff – 5 Stanley Road, Middle Campus
- Student Development and staff – 9 Stanley Road, Middle Campus
- DSA Treasury – Extramural Cash Office, Level 3, Kramer Law Building, Middle Campus
- Student Parliament – DSA Meeting Rooms, Level 3, Leslie Social Sciences Building, Upper Campus
- Disability Service – Level 4, John Day Building, Upper Campus
- The Writing Centre – Knowledge Commons, Chancellor Oppenheimer Library, Upper Campus.